Monday, May 18, 2009

SCBWI, episode one, A New Hope

At the suggestion of Nathan Bransford at his very informative talk at the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators conference, I've decided to build my internet presence by blogging. And although I have scorned journals throughout my meager years, I think, perhaps, if I write about writing, there's a much better chance of this holding water. Which is, I think, a pretty good thing if you are a submarine and a pretty bad thing if you are a boat.

I am neither, by the way.

So, to begin, I am twenty three years old, called Megan, and currently on an epic quest for that glory of glories: Publication.

So far I've written several absurd short stories, a novel about a taxidermist and her imaginary octopus, and the beginnings of a novel about Baba Yaga. To quote the Wonderful Jenn Webster: "Yeah I wrote a novel. Pfffft. Who hasn't?"

And this blog here is to aid me in that quest. In it, I will chronicle my fantastic voyage through the perils of editing, first drafts, absurdist shorts to keep me from losing my mind, and even the various doodles and photographs (maybe even some models and dolls and miniature knits- I'm very visual for a wordsmith) I go through on the way. So here it is! My internet presence! And here's to remembering to update! To future publication! And to all the horrible self doubt, painstaking rewrites, and mind numbing hours at a hateful computer as I learn there is no easy way to convey what it's like to attempt to embalm a friend! Here Here!

You may now imagine corks popping and the clinking of a thousand joyous glasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment